Hickory wood is a popular choice for kitchen cabinets due to its attractive, rustic look and long-lasting durability. With their warm, reddish-brown tones and distinctive grain patterns, hickory cabinets can make a striking statement in any kitchen. However, choosing the perfect countertops to pair with hickory wood is key to bringing together a cohesive and stylish design.
When selecting countertops for a kitchen with hickory cabinets, it’s important to consider factors like color, texture, and style. The goal is to find options that complement the cabinets while also meeting your functional needs. By thoughtfully matching your countertops to your hickory kitchen cabinets, you can create a space that is both beautiful and highly usable.
- 1 Hickory Cabinets and Countertops
- 2 Types of Countertops That Go Well with Hickory Cabinets
- 3 The Best Countertop Colors to Pair with Hickory Cabinets
- 4 Matching Hickory Cabinets with Trendy Countertops in 2023
- 5 What color schemes work best for kitchens with hickory cabinets?
- 6 What are some countertop materials that offer a good look when paired with hickory cabinets?
- 7 Can I pair hickory cabinets with a white countertop?
- 8 Can I have an industrial kitchen style with hickory cabinets?
Hickory Cabinets and Countertops
Hickory wood has become a go-to choice for kitchen cabinets thanks to its hardness, stability, and appealing visual qualities. This dense, heavy wood features a fine, closed grain that takes stain very well, allowing for a wide spectrum of rich, warm finishes.
Hickory kitchen cabinets exhibit a range of reddish-brown tones, from pale tan to deep reddish-brown. They may also contain black streaks, knots, or mineral deposits that add to their rustic character. Their color variation allows them to be paired with a number of different countertop materials and colors.
It’s important to pick countertops that go well with hickory cabinets since the two surfaces are right next to each other and will be visually linked. You want your cabinets and countertops to work together to create a cohesive style.
Types of Countertops That Go Well with Hickory Cabinets
Consider the following types of countertops that beautifully complement the look of hickory cabinetry:
- Pale Cream CountertopsCreamy off-white countertops offer a clean and airy contrast against rich hickory cabinets. Materials like white granite, marble, or quartz bring out the wood’s warmth and add dimension with their subtle veining. A pale cream countertop keeps the focus on stunning hickory kitchen cabinets.
- Brown CountertopsVarious shades of brown make an excellent match for hickory cabinets. Darker chocolate browns pair well with lighter hickory finishes, while beige-brown countertops complement deeper cabinet colors. Matte brown surfaces like wood, concrete, or leathered granite help tie everything together in organic kitchen styles.
- Beige CountertopsFor a more neutral yet stylish look, beige is one of the most popular countertop choices with hickory cabinets. It comes in a range of natural stone options like granite, marble, and quartzite. Beige adds warmth and versatility, suiting both traditional and contemporary kitchens.
- Black CountertopsDark countertops make a dramatic statement against reddish hickory cabinets. Polished black granite or quartz surfaces reflect light and add modern flair. Matte black options like soapstone or honed granite exude rustic elegance. Black countertops pair best with medium to dark cabinet stains.
- Dark Gray CountertopsLike black, various shades of dark gray countertops beautifully contrast the rich color of hickory wood cabinets. Concrete, soapstone, or granite all make excellent choices. Dark gray adds a touch of sophistication and works with light to dark hickory kitchen palettes.
The Best Countertop Colors to Pair with Hickory Cabinets
When selecting countertops to match your hickory cabinets, you’ll want to consider the color scheme of your entire kitchen as well as the specific stain of your cabinets. Here are some of the most popular options:
- Black granite or quartz offers high contrast and a very modern, sleek kitchen look.
- Neutral colors like cream, beige, or white marble keep the focus on the wood while adding dimension.
- Concrete or soapstone in warm grays add an organic, rustic feel.
- Wood countertops like butcher block complement the inherent richness of the wood cabinets.
- A pop of color like deep blue or green quartz can accent the reddish hue of lighter hickory cabinets.
The finish of the countertop is also very important. Glossy surfaces tend to brighten the space while matte finishes like honed stone or limewashed wood add to the rustic kitchen style.
Matching Hickory Cabinets with Trendy Countertops in 2023
If you’re looking to pair your hickory cabinets with fresh, modern countertops, consider these stylish trends for 2023:
- Concrete in earthy tones like sand, gray, and taupe. Its matte finish plays up the wood’s texture.
- Quartzite like Taj Mahal or Super White for subtle movement. These natural stones are more stain-resistant than marble.
- Rich blues and greens like Atlantic Green quartz or Blue Bahia granite. These colors complement hickory wood’s warmth.
- Mixed metals like a stainless steel island or brass accents paired with wood. This trend adds an industrial vibe.
- Hexagon shaped tiles in contrasting neutrals or black/white. Great for a backsplash with hickory.
- Unique patterns like terrazzo, agglomerate, or recycled glass for an eco-friendly style.
No matter your kitchen style, there is a fabulous countertop option that will look stunning beside your lovely hickory cabinets. The key is finding the right balance of color, texture, and finish. Samples and vision boards can help immensely when making this important design decision.
What color schemes work best for kitchens with hickory cabinets?
When selecting a color scheme for your kitchen with hickory cabinets, it’s important to consider the warm and rustic look of the wood. Light-colored hickory cabinets pair well with cool color schemes such as blues and grays, while dark brown hickory cabinets work well with warmer color schemes such as earth tones and reds. Ultimately, it depends on your personal preference and the overall style you want to achieve.
What are some countertop materials that offer a good look when paired with hickory cabinets?
Countertops made from materials such as granite, marble, quartz, and wood can all complement hickory cabinets and enhance the overall appearance of your kitchen. Granite and marble countertops provide a luxurious and elegant look, while wood countertops create a cohesive and natural aesthetic.
Can I pair hickory cabinets with a white countertop?
Yes, pairing hickory cabinets with a white countertop can create a clean and fresh look in your kitchen. The contrast between the warm tones of the hickory wood and the crisp white countertop can add visual interest and create a modern aesthetic. It’s a popular choice that works well in various kitchen styles.
Can I have an industrial kitchen style with hickory cabinets?
Yes, you can incorporate hickory cabinets into an industrial kitchen style. The natural wood texture and warm color of hickory can add warmth and richness to an industrial aesthetic. Consider pairing hickory cabinets with stainless steel appliances, concrete countertops, and exposed brick or metal accents to create a cohesive industrial look.
Choosing the perfect countertops to match your hickory cabinets involves considering color, style, and functionality. Pale cream, brown, beige, black, and dark gray countertops are excellent options that allow the beauty of the wood to shine. Aim for a countertop in a neutral, earthy hue or one that provides bold contrast. Think about the look you want for your space, from rustic charm to modern elegance. With careful selection, you can design a kitchen with hickory cabinets and countertops that complement each other beautifully.
To remove your existing cabinets or countertops, check out this step-by-step guide on removing base cabinets without taking out the countertop. For help with removing a kitchen island, see this detailed guide on removing a kitchen island. And for inspiration on using contrasting countertop colors, take a look at these ideas for a contrasting kitchen island countertop.
With the right information and preparation, you can successfully replace your countertops or cabinets to match your new hickory kitchen style. Let me know if any changes or additions are needed!